Monday, October 03, 2005

The cockroach week

26 September 2005

Que chuva!!! That’s what you heard everywhere in the street, because it was raining like hell this morning. Luckily, my nice colleague Isabel gives me a ride every morning. It was difficult to take pictures out of the car, but at least you can have some impressions with this picture.


The Belgian rain is nothing compared to this one! And our country would start the emergency plans if these rains started, the country would be flooded in now time. The streets became small rivers too in Brasília, but some hours later, you don’t see any trace of the damage anymore. And the sun begins to shine right after and gives back our 29°C of average temperature at noon.

27 September 2005

I could open my bank account finally J But for this, I needed to leave work early, as banks are only open between 10am or 11am till 4pm. We arrived at 3.30pm, but luckily it works like this: once you are in the building before closing time, they serve you. Because I was a little afraid that they would kick us out at 4pm and tell us to come back tomorrow.

28 September 2005

Public transport in Brasília is so inefficient, that almost everyone has a car. But poor trainees can not afford this ;-) and if my colleague is not bringing me home, I can “enjoy” the busses for 1 hour and 15 minutes to get home! Busses make a lot of noise here and drive crazy. Not really the most relaxing way to go home. So don’t ever tell me that the Belgian public transport is bad!!! An other funny thing is that you don’t press a button to call the driver to stop. But you pull at a wire that is fixed on the ceiling of the bus over the entire length. By pulling, a little light starts or an annoying sound begins till the doors are open.
Moreover I need to change at Rodoviária, this is the central place where busses gather and leave to all places in Brasília. I guess that there are more than 70 bus stops there, so in the beginning it’s quite hard to find yours! Luckily there is a kind of structure. And man, you can wait so long in the crowd there during rush hour because everyone gets home at that time!
I was not able to take any picture there, because it’s not the safest place. I’ll try to make one, once I’m there with someone else. But today, I was waiting there for 20 minutes in the row, and my bus didn’t appear. A guy came to offer alternative transport (mini vans that cover the lines that the busses don’t succeed in) but I didn’t understand where it was going. So I stayed at my platform. Suddenly I was there alone. So I decided to change the platform, and luckily there was a bus going in my direction. I’m always so happy to arrive home and take some rest!

29 September 2005

Most of the time, I arrive in an empty house, as my roommates are hardly here. But tonight a little pet was welcoming me. Look how cute he is.

Before coming, I asked fellow trainees if there were cockroaches in Brasília, and the answer was negative. I was quite happy because I hate these animals. But OK, there was one in my house, and I needed to do something about it. I tried to drown the little bastard. This didn’t work, and the animal escaped in the corner near the ceiling. I thought to leave it there, and go out with friends and hopefully it would disappear by itself. But than I entered my room and there was a very small one there too. I could catch this one with the empty bowl of doce de leite and I threw it out of the window. Because I heard that they put their eggs if you kill them. Now I had the courage to do the same with the big beast in the kitchen too. And I found out also that if you blow to them, that they get scared too and they start moving. After some attempts, I managed to catch the huge animal, and threw it out of the window too.
And it seemed that there would come no end to the invasion. I discovered an other one on the ceiling of our living room. And just to prove you that I catched them, there is this picture.

Luckily this was the last one of this evening.

After my battle with the cockroaches, I left to a concert of a famous Brazilian singer: Alceu Valença. For only one real, we had a very great show! I really enjoyed it the ambiance and rhythms. And I’ve never experienced such an enthusiastic audience shouting for more. This was awesome!
I can’t upload a video here, so you have to wait till I’m back to watch it.
I went together with Laissa and her friends Deborah and Flora that you can see below.

30 September 2005
Today is secretary day in Brazil. In the morning we ate some cakes and pie, and everyone got a rose. This one is brightening up my desk.

This is the last Friday of the month, and Varenge (the company where I work) always organizes a barbecue (churrasco) for all the employees. This was so great to have some beers with your colleagues while eating some meat and talking a lot. There was even a band playing some music and one of the bosses started singing popular Brazilian music. I really enjoyed the atmosphere! Unfortunately, my camera was in the car, so no pictures of this evening. But next month there is on other one. I’ll try to make some pictures than!

After that I went with Julian (a trainee from the UK) to the house of Joyce (US) and Santiago (Ecuador), other trainees that work here and study at the meantime to get a master degree. We ordered some pizzas, and even a banana pizza! It tastes OK, you can compare it with a banana pie, but on a pizza paste and with cheese in stead of pudding.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate these animals tooo!

A few years ago, I was on camp with the youth movement, Scouts.
On a morning, a friend of me wanted to go to the toilet. She wanted to put on her shoes but then she felt something with her naked feets.
She took off her shoes and she saw her shoes were full of cockroaches...That wasn't a nice experience as well.

04 October, 2005 22:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home