Wednesday, March 22, 2006

And last but not least … THE BRAZILIAN CARNAVAL. Man this is crazy, there are no words to describe this, but I will do my best to pass on the feeling and atmosphere. You have to know that Carnaval is much more than the Samba show in Rio de Janeiro. There are three massive and well-known Carnavals among the country: Salvador, Recife and Rio de Janeiro. Besides, many cities and villages in the country side have their own typical party. One carnival is not enough to discover all of them but I went to two totally different ones: Recife and Rio. But first some explanation about Salvador. There are many trio electricos, huge trucks with very strong sound systems on which famous axé groups like Chiclete com Banana have their shows while the truck makes a tour in the city and people are running and dancing behind it. They attract more than 3 million people in the street over the 5 days festival. Amazing, no?

Recife is also a street carnival like Salvador but with other music: mainly Frevo and Maracatu. During 5 nights, we gathered in Recife Antigo to party till the morning. Then you sleep a little and go to Olinda in the afternoon where the party continues.

Me with a maracatu dressed up lady

Recife Antigo, the were 5 nights streets filled with a lot of people, music and beers

Santiago (Ecuador) , me and Diogo dressed up to go to Olinda.
With my two bodyguards, I didn´t have problems of boys attacking girls to kiss them and run away. Because this is also part of the Brazilian Carnaval.

And I took part in the Galo da Madrugada. Remember, the biggest street party in the world with more than 1,2 million people in the street between 9 in the morning and 6 in the evening. This is crazy! There are also trio electricos but here everything is for free compared to high entrance tickets for some blocos in Salvador. I didn´t take my camera this day, because people told me it´s not so safe. But I didn´t see any fight or problems during the entire day. Amazing, in Belgium, for the smallest event, there are a bunch of police man and still there are many problems. Here I’d hardly seen police in the street, and the whole Carnaval passed very peaceful!!

Me and pinky ready for the Galo


We went with a lot of people to the same gas station to watch the Galo

Santiago and me, ready for the party of Galo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home